Academic Edition of the Complete Works
The project of the Academic Edition of Tchaikovsky's Complete Works (Академическое полное собрание сочинений) was launched in 2013 by the State Institute of Arts Studies and the P. I. Tchaikovsky State House-Museum, as part of a programme devoted to the composer's 175th anniversary.
The new edition is based on the results of both Russian and international Tchaikovsky scholarship of the late 19th and 20th centuries; it takes into account also contemporary knowledge and ideas formed by the beginning of the 21st century, especially in the field of musical sources and textural studie. The edition is primarily intended for performers, teachers and students, as well as for Tchaikovsky scholars. Its aim is to present the composer's enormous legacy (both musical and literary) as it is known today, as exhaustively as possible.
The project's task is to reproduce the texts of Tchaikovsky's works (both musical and literary) with maximum accuracy and authenticity on the basis of the principal sources reflecting the composer's ideas in every detail. It will include unfinished works, whose sketches and drafts are extant, and in some cases posthumous reconstructions of works by others .
The publishers are Music Production International (MPI) in Chelyabinsk, Russia, and (from 2018) Schott in Mainz, Germany .
- 1 Musical Works
- 1.1 Series I: Stage Works
- 1.2 Series II: Works for Orchestra
- 1.3 Series III: Concertos and Concert Pieces
- 1.4 Series IV: Cantatas and Choruses
- 1.5 Series V: Sacred Works
- 1.6 Series VI: Works for Instrumental Ensembles
- 1.7 Series VII: Works and Transcriptions for Piano
- 1.8 Series VIII: Works for Violin and Piano
- 1.9 Series IX: Arrangements and Editions of Russian Folk Songs
- 1.10 Series X: Instrumentations of Other Composers' Works
- 1.11 Series XI: Romances and Songs
- 1.12 Series XII: Student Works
- 2 Literary Works
- 3 External Links
- 4 Notes and References
Including full scores, and piano reductions made by Tchaikovsky himself or authorised by him.
Series I: Stage Works
Operas, ballets, music for dramatic performances.
Vol. 3. Edited by Aleksandra Maksimova (2016). 217 pages. ISBN 978-5-9628-0208-4
- Undina. Reconstruction of surviving fragments : Full score and vocal score.
Series II: Works for Orchestra
Symphonies, suites, overtures, fantasias, etc.
Series III: Concertos and Concert Pieces
Vol. 1. Edited by Polina Vaidman and Ada Aynbinder (2015). cliii, 219 pages. ISBN 978-5-9628-0202-2.
- Piano Concerto No. 1 : Full score (1875 version).
Vol. 2. Edited by Polina Vaidman and Ada Aynbinder (2015). cliii, 145 pages. ISBN 978-5-9628-0203-9.
- Piano Concerto No. 1 : Arrangement for 2 pianos (1875 version).
Vol. 3. Edited by Polina Vaidman and Ada Aynbinder (2015). cliii, 219 pages. ISBN 978-5-9628-0204-6.
- Piano Concerto No. 1 : Full score (1879 version).
Vol. 4. Edited by Polina Vaidman and Ada Aynbinder (2015). cliii, 145 pages. ISBN 978-5-9628-0205-3.
- Piano Concerto No. 1 : Arrangement for 2 pianos (1879 version).
Series IV: Cantatas and Choruses
On secular texts.
Vol. 1. Edited by Tamara Skvirskaya (2016).
- Ode to Joy : Full score.
Series V: Sacred Works
Vol. 1. Edited by Archbishop Hilarion Alfeyev (2015). 217 pages. ISBN 978-5-9628-0206-0.
- Liturgy of Saint John Chrysostom : Choral score (with piano rehearsal part).
Series VI: Works for Instrumental Ensembles
Series VII: Works and Transcriptions for Piano
Series VIII: Works for Violin and Piano
Series IX: Arrangements and Editions of Russian Folk Songs
Series X: Instrumentations of Other Composers' Works
Series XI: Romances and Songs
Duets, vocal ensembles, musical album leaves and musical letters.
Series XII: Student Works
Original compositions, and instrumentations of other composers' works.
Series XIII: Music Theory
Writings and pedagogical legacy.
Series XIV: Music Criticism
Essays, open letters to newspapers and journals, speeches, interviews.
Series XV: Translation
Translations of treatises and other texts by western European authors, and of literary texts for musical works.
Series XVI: Poems
Including poetic texts for his own romances and choruses.
Series XVII: Diaries, Notebooks, Letters, Correspondence
Series XVIII: Tchaikovsky Encyclopedia and Indexes
- Project website (in English)
Notes and References
- Information taken from the English preface to (2015), cv-cxi.
- On 7 June 2018, Schott announced that the Academic Edition of the Complete Works would be "the legitimate successor to the previous endeavours for the publication of the complete works of P. I. Tchaikovsky and the project of the New Complete Edition initiated by Schott Music in 1993", and that as from 2018 they would become the international distributors for the Academic Edition in collaboration with MPI Music Production International in Chelyabinsk. See: https://de.schott-music.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Tchaikovsky_A4_Subsriptions-Flyer_low_res.pdf