|Date||8/20 August 1893|
|Addressed to||Vasily Sapelnikov|
|Autograph Location||unknown |
|Publication|| (February 2011), p. 14 (extracts only, in English translation)|
(2013), p. 234 (extracts only, in Russian translation)
Text and Translation
This incomplete text is based on the extract published in Stargardt's 1978 auction catalogue , which may contain differences in formatting and content from Tchaikovsky's original letter.
By Luis Sundkvist
|Unsere Konzerte in Petersburg finden am 15. und 29. Januar 94 statt. Ich danke Dir für den Brief und das Lob über den Trepak. Mit Dir u[nd] Menter fahre ich mit Vergnügen, wohin ihr wollt: nach Kopenhagen, Stockholm, Wien etc. Es ist sehr möglich, daß ich im September nach Itter komme.||Petersburg are to take place on 15 and 29 January 1894 . I thank you for your letter and your praise for the Trepak . With you and Menter I will gladly travel to wherever you want: to Copenhagen, Stockholm, Vienna etc. It is quite possible that in September I shall come to Itter Our concerts in|
Notes and References
- The autograph was auctioned in 1978 by J. A. Stargardt, Marburg.
- J. A. Stargardt, Atographen aus allen Gebieten (Marburg, 1978), item no. 922.
- See Letter 5004a to Sophie Menter, written on the same day.
- The Scène dansante: Invitation au trèpak, which was the last of Tchaikovsky's Eighteen Pieces, Op. 72 (completed earlier that year) and dedicated to Sapelnikov.
- In June that year, Tchaikovsky had already stayed with Sapelnikov and Menter at their home in Castle Itter, in the Tyrol, but he would not get round to visiting the place again. His only other trip abroad later that summer was a brief visit to Hamburg in late August/early September (to attend a performance of his opera Iolanta). From Sapelnikov's memoirs we know that he and Tchaikovsky never met again after June 1893.