Yury Davydov

Tchaikovsky Research
Jump to: navigation, search
Yury Davydov (1876–1965)
Pictured in 1893

Nephew of the composer (b. 24 April/6 May 1876 in Geneva; d. 16 April 1965 at Klin), born Yury Lvovich Davydov (Юрий Львович Давыдов), also known as Georgy Lvovich Davydov (Георгий Львович Давыдов).

Yury was the youngest son of the composer's sister Aleksandra (b. Tchaikovskaya, 1842–1891) and her husband Lev Davydov (1837–1896). He graduated from Bonn Agricultural Academy in 1898, and later became a director of the Kiev branch of the Russian Musical Society (1908–1917), and helped to found the Kiev Conservatory.

In 1937 he joined the staff of the composer's house-museum at Klin, where he became curator in 1945. He married Margarita Nikolayevna Lopukhina (1864–1931), and they had four children — Irina (1900–1989); Tatyana (1902–1925); Kseniya (1905–1989); and Georgy.

He died on 16 April 1965 at Klin, and was buried at the town's Demyanovo Cemetery.